St. Bernard's Roman Catholic Church
44 University Avenue, Akron; completed 1905. Romanesque.
Exterior: This church is faced with Berea Sandstone from Peninsula, Ohio. The stone is set in courses. Dark reddish brown concretionary bodies seen just to the bottom right of the cornerstone resemble those that can be seen today in Peninsula's Deep Lock Quarry. Six granodiorite columns at the entrance have intricately carved Berea Sandstone capitals.
Interior: Flooring and the wall border along the floor of the narthex includes Verde Antique marble. The altar is Italian marble.
Remarks: The contract for the 125 train-car loads of stone used for this church was with Frank Lukesh of the Peninsula quarries (Anonymous, 1997a). According to McGovern (1996), the St. Bernard location was the site of a quarry that supplied stone for Akron's St. Vincent Church.
References: Anonymous, 1997a.
The Center for Sacred Landmarks Monograph Series
From the Center for Sacred Landmarks monograph: Guide
To Stones Used for Houses of Worship in Northeastern Ohio
(December, 1999) by . Joseph T. Hannibal. Published by the Sacred Landmarks
Partnership of Northeast Ohio |
Cleveland State University 2121 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115 www.csuohio.edu
Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs http://urban.csuohio.edu (216) 687-2134
Questions about content of this page | Technical questions about this page | Affirmative Action Statement