Hand Graphics Boot Camp
Instructor: Kirby Date, AICP
Course No: URBANCE1
Course Credit: 8.5 Contact Hours
Registration: Register for this workshop (when scheduled) via CSU's CampusCE website.
Session Date(s): To Be Determined
Location: Levin College of Urban Affairs, UR 254 Bonda Board Room, 1717 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland Ohio 44115
Course Fee: $100. Includes supplies for group use provided by instructor, and resource book to take home. Please bring required personal supplies with you (see below); lunch is on your own.
Payment Methods: Major credit cards, corporate checks, and staff development funds welcome. Read more. »
Graphic thinking and hand graphic skills are critical for anyone who needs to be able to visualize an idea and transmit it to others. Whether you are outlining a strategy over lunch, diagramming a plan for a park, or manning a flip chart in front of a group, the ability to communicate a concept graphically will enhance your communication with your collaborators. This course is designed for those with no drawing experience, or those who need a refresher – to develop confidence, and expand others’ and confidence in you. Organized around basic graphic thinking, illustration and visualization skills, the course is designed for planners, and includes the fundamentals of visualizing spaces – but everyone can benefit from exercises that will change your way of thinking. It’s fun! Graphics resource book included.
Note: 7.5 AICP certification maintenance credits have been approved.
After a warmup, participants learn the foundations of working with pencil, pen, color and marker – and then apply them to exercises aimed at developing spatial thinking skills. In the afternoon, we analyze spaces using easy graphic techniques, and finish with a group review of accomplishments. We close with ideas for integration with computer graphics, practice and continued development.
- Startup: Tools, Rules, Warmups
- Foundations: Line, Fill, Lettering, Hierarchy and Color
- Flip charts, announcements and meeting notes
- Graphic Diagrams: Subjects, verbs, relationships, translations
- Lynch Diagrams and Map Analysis: Visual diagrams for analyzing the experience of space and place
- Plan Illustration: Create a place and communicate your ideas
- Section Illustration: Understand how a place works in three dimensions
- 3-Dimensional Illustration: Sketching for non-drawers!
- Wrap Up: Review of accomplishments, keeping a sketchbook, using your hand drawings in computer graphic projects, guidance for continuing your development
Required supplies: (bring with you to class)
1 Black Sharpie – Ultra Fine
1 Black Sharpie – Fine
1 Black Sharpie – SuperSharpie (wide)
1 number 2 or HB pencil
1 sketchbook, 9 x 12, 60 lb. paper
The workshop is open to everyone. Planners will learn specific skills to use in their work, but all will develop spatial ability and confidence in communicating their ideas. In the past, public administration and business students and professionals have participated, as well as non-professionals from the community.
None. Come ready to have a good time and try something new.
$100 plus about $10 for materials purchased on your own.
- Major credit cards accepted.
- If you prefer to receive an invoice and pay via corporate check contact Sharon Bliss (firstname.lastname@example.org). She will email the invoice to you. To register please use CSU's CampusCE site. If you are paying with a check select the "Staff Dev or Check" option.
- If you are a CSU employee you may be able to use faculty/staff development funds to pay for this workshop. The form can be obtained from the CSU Human Resources Benefits Form page. Please send a copy of the completed form to the Division of Continuing and Extended Education at conted@csuohio or UR 141. After that please complete registration on CSU's CampusCE site.
Refund to original payment is made at 100% when a registrant cancels attendance at least seven business days prior to the start of the first class. Alternatively, registrant can choose to transfer paid tuition to a later, equivalent course of their choosing within the same college or school at no additional cost. Refunds may take up to ten business-days to receive. Requests must be submitted to Sharon Bliss (email@example.com). Click here for more information about Cleveland State Univerisity's refund policy.
The Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs offers a wide range of custom designed courses, workshops, and seminars. See the Professional Development Course Listing for this semester's schedule.