Given the current surge in COVID cases in Northeast Ohio, the Introduction to ArcGIS workshop scheduled for Wednesday, January 12 – Friday, January 14, 2022 has been cancelled.
Location: Levin College Computer Lab - UR40 Levin College of Urban Affairs, 1717 Euclid Ave Cleveland, Ohio 44115
Course Fee: Standard Rate: $545 / CSU Student Rate: $345 / CSU Alumni Rate: $445 / Group Rate: $445
Payment Methods: Major credit cards, corporate checks, and staff development funds welcome. Read more. »
Future GIS Workshops: Sign up to receive emails about future ArcGIS workshops.
Introduction to ArcGIS introduces participants to ESRI ArcGIS mapping and analysis software. The workshop covers fundamental GIS concepts, geospatial data, and how to map and analyze data at the basic level. Participants will become familiar with the ArcGIS graphics user interface (GUI), local GIS data, frequently used GIS tools, and map layouts. Participants are provided with access to ESRI GIS software, a lab workbook, and a data storage device. Participants must be comfortable using a desktop computer, mouse, and the internet.
Space is limited, so early registration is encouraged.
Participants learn how to use ArcMap, ArcCatalog, and ArcToolbox and explore how these applications work together to provide a complete GIS software solution. In addition participants will gain practical experince with the following ArcGIS components:
- ArcGIS Overview: Capabilities and applications; interacting with the interface; controlling the display characteristics of data layers.
- Thematic Maps: Types of themes available such as graduated color or symbol, dot density, or individual value with procedures to generate.
- GIS Outputs: Produce presentation quality maps using map templates and layouts with elements of the title, legend, neatline, and logos.
- Geodatabases: Create a personal geodatabase using ArcCatalog; populate the geodatabase from shapefiles, coverages and databases; join and relate data layers; analyze and display aggregated data from joined tables.
- Importing Spatial and Attribute Data: Import spatial data from a coverage interchange file; define & change map projections; download spatial & attribute data from the US Government's Geospatial One-Stop and the Census Bureau's American Factfinder websites, then import to the GIS.
- Digitize and Edit Spatial Features: Use “heads-up” digitizing tools to create new spatial features of points, lines, and polygons. Edit existing spatial features georeferencing using an aerial photograph as a guide.
- Geocode: Create x,y coordinate point locations based on the interpolation method using a street address database or by polygon method such as zip code.
- Attribute Data Queries and Spatial Processing: Select features by attribute queries; add field and calculate or update field values; clip, dissolve and append layers.
- Spatial Analysis: Query and select by location using spatial relationships of within, contain intersect, etc;buffer spatial features, then spatially query to locate features in the buffer zones.
- Working with Local Datasets: Attendees can download GIS datasets for the Cleveland/Cuyahoga county area which will be used during the workshop and can be used outside of class for future endeavors.
This workshop is open to everyone.
There are no prerequisites for this workshop. No experience with desktop mapping or GIS technology is required, but registrants should know how to use Windows-based software.
CSU’s Levin College offers a local, lower-cost alternative to the similar workshops offered elsewhere. The cost for each participant in the three-day workshop is $495. The following discounts rates are available: CSU Student Rate- $345, CSU Alumni- Rate: $395, Group Rate of 3 or more (from the same organization): $395 (per person).
- To register please use CSU's Learning Stream site.
- Type in one of the following discount codes (without the quotes) on the Learning Stream registration page (on the discount code text box) to receive a discounted registration fee (if applicable): “CSU Student GIS” $345 / “CSU Alumni GIS” $445 / “CSU Group GIS”: $445.
- Major credit cards accepted.
- If you prefer to receive an invoice and pay via corporate check: 1) Complete registration on CSU’s Learning Stream website (selecting the “Purchase Order” option when prompted. If you don’t have a Purchase Order number type “No Purchase Order Number” when prompted) and 2) Contact Nina Antonik (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive an invoice.
- If you are a CSU employee, you may be able to use faculty/staff development funds to pay for this workshop. Continuing Education Staff Development forms can be obtained from the CSU Human Resources Benefits Form page. Please send a copy of the completed form to Nina Antonik (UR 335, Levin College of Urban Affairs | email@example.com). After that please complete registration using CSU's Learning Stream site.
Refund to original payment is made at 100% when a registrant cancels attendance at least two business-days prior to the start of the first class. Alternatively, the registrant can choose to transfer paid tuition to a later, equivalent course of their choosing within the same college or school at no additional cost when giving a two business-day cancellation notice. Refund requests must be submitted to Sharon Bliss (firstname.lastname@example.org). Click here for more information about Cleveland State Univerisity's refund policy.
Cleveland State University reserves the right to cancel a workshop and refund the workshop fee in the event that there are an insufficient number of registrants.
If you have questions about this workshop please contact Sharon Bliss (email@example.com).
The Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs offers a wide range of custom designed courses, workshops, and seminars. See the Professional Development Course Listing for this semester's schedule.